Colby Buzzell had to go through a lot of research to get his medical marijuana card. Buzzell began with online research after stumbling across an article about high school students obtaining medical cards. He immediately called a physician to find out more. Buzzell failed to connect with the VA hospital so he searched medical marijuana doctors on his own. He finally got the clear to go and buy marijuana legally after all of his research was complete.
Buzzell was able to connect with his audience via chronological narrative. It is a very interesting story that pulls you in through the details of his struggling life. The fact that he tried so hard to obtain the marijuana card makes in engaging for the reader. He never gave up his search and audiences like a good story with struggle. Also, we can all relate to being placed on hold for eternity and giving up. The author attempts to search online for more information, but a ‘Page Not Found’ message appears on the screen causing even more frustration.
His personal narrative is arranged in a chronological order. By doing this, we read it like a novel and are fully engaged throughout the story. I could use this strategy in my Core II essay by incorporating each of my sources in a sequential order.
My research question so far, is ‘Are theme parks limiting self-expression with forbidding tattoos, piercings, dyed hair, etc.?’ My plan for the primary research is to interview a person who works in the recruitment/hiring field of a theme park. They would be able to tell me their company restrictions on hiring those with tattoos and things of that nature. I also want to find out if they make candidates change their look to fit a certain mold.
Background questions I could ask would be:
1.Tell me about your restrictions dealing with hair color, piercings, etc.
2.Are applicants ordered to change their look?
3.Has there ever been a law suit filed against this policy?
4.Where do religious accessories come into play?
5.Is this following all EEO laws?
Evaluative questions I could ask would be:
1.Do you think these restrictions are limiting the number of applicants?
2.What are your personal thoughts on this?
3.Where do you see the future of the company going if you are limiting self-expression?
4.What are your observations of the applicants looks?
5.Do you predict any strikes/law suits against the company?
For my secondary research, I could obtain journals relating to theme parks and the hiring process. There are many to choose from in the Rosen library.
When I received my Core I essay grade, I was a bit surprised. I was satisfied that I got an A, but it was a low A. To be honest, I was expecting a tad higher. There were two comma mistakes in the essay. You said that I should have connected the audience and the recession in more detail. Another point was that you said my conclusion paragraph was repetitive. I was trying to wrap up the essay and all my ideas, but you wanted me to give you something new. I was always taught to never introduce something new in the final paragraph.
Emma, consider the conclusion of the "Medical Pot" essay. No, the subject matter isn't new (we've been reading about it for 7 pages), but the ideas are certainly fresh. Hopefully, we can talk about this in class. Fresh insights are always going to be better than summarized bullet-points.
ReplyDelete--NH