Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Prompt 3: Narratives & Imagery

The author is able to create an interesting narrative by bringing up many stories that deal with the overall theme of derogatory terms in the public media. He uses examples of famous people who are most likely recognizable to us. The author exemplifies Borat, South Park, and Chappelle’s Show in order to grasp our attention. Once we are intrigued by the real-life television shows, we are given examples of how these shows use offensive language. We start to view these programs differently and want to hear more from the author of how they are inappropriate. We are being introduced with a narrative of Don Imus since we could recount a story we already know. From there, it goes on asking questions and giving more examples.

The author is capable of creating profound imagery by using situations already slightly known to us and then elaborating on them. This way, we enhance the visual we already have. If the writer simply kept quoting, we would have become uninterested and bored. The author only quoted the phrases used by the celebrities, not the entire conversation. For example, the author does not quote the entire lyrics of Eminem; he simply quotes one term Eminem used in a song.

Typically when I use quotes, I would utilize the entire sentence of what the person said to prove my point. What I have learned from this article is that it is only necessary to use a word or two. This way, your audience will pay closer attention to your side of the argument while using logical appeals. I now know for the Core I Essay that persuasion by logos is recommended since your followers want concrete evidence in the form of quotes and real-life examples. When establishing my voice conversationally, it is important that I use questions frequently to engage the listeners. The author of this article uses questions to provoke the reader into giving his or her own opinion and keep the audience thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment